Skip to main content

Student Educational Records | Michigan State University

What are my educational records?

Educational records are those records, files, documents, and other materials which contain information directly related to a student and are maintained by the University or by a party acting on behalf of the University. This includes information or data recorded in any medium including, but not limited to, handwriting, print, tapes, film, microfilm, microfiche, and any electronic storage or retrieval media. Educational records may also include:

  • Grades
  • Student course schedules
  • Disciplinary records
  • Student financial records
  • Advising notes found in the Electronic Student Academic Folder (ESAF)

Do I have access to my educational records?

You have the right to inspect and review your educational records. To see a specific record, you must make a request to the Office of the Registrar. Requests for access to records must be granted within a reasonable period of time, but in no case later than forty-five (45) days from the date of request. If you are denied access to your educational records, you have the right of appeal. For more details about this appeal process, contact the Office of the University Ombudsperson.

Can I correct mistakes in my educational records?

You also have the right to request an amendment of your record if you believe the record to be inaccurate or misleading. A request to amend a record should be made in writing to the school official maintaining the record, clearly identifying the part of the record you want changed and specifying why it should be changed. If your request to amend is denied, the school official will notify you in writing of the decision and the right to a formal hearing on the matter. For more information about this hearing, contact the Office of the University Ombudsperson.

Are there any records that are not considered educational records?

The following records are excluded from the definition of educational records:

  • "Sole possession" records made by faculty and staff for their own use as reference or memory aids and not shared with others
  • Personal observations
  • University law enforcement records
  • Medical and mental health records used only for the treatment of the student
  • Employment records relating to students who are employed by the University, unless the employment is a result of his/her status as a student
  • Alumni records
  • Peer graded papers and exams prior to the grade being recorded in the instructor's grade book